Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Radex 1503 sound mod

Maybe you have noticed the Radex 1503 beep is far too loud to be comfortable. It is ok for alarming, but very uncomfortable if you want to have audible indication of the counts.

While I was repairing it, I looked for this issue, and I found the small buzzer is activated by a transistor through a 20 ohms SMD resistor.

Simply replace that resistor with another one in the 20 to 680 ohms range. I choose a 220 ohms resistor, that produces comfortable beeps for me. 680 ohms produce tiny beeps only audible in quiet environments.

2 comments:

  1. I noticed the same problem, except it was the pitch of the sound that annoyed me. I find it far too loud.

    Do you know if there's an easy way to lower it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not easily... without opening the case you are restricted to place a small piece of adhesive tape over the buzzer.

      Delete